Sunday, October 19, 2008

Love Story Part 4

Saturday came, and I could not stop thinking about Bryan. I was looking forward to seeing him that evening. 7pm rolled around and my friends from church arrived to head out for the Christmas Caroling. Bryan was not there. I was bummed. My friend Anne’s husband said I should call Bryan and see if he was still planning on coming. I felt nervous about calling. I didn’t want him to think I was to needy. I was worried that I sounded desperate. I went back into the store where I worked and called his home number that was on his paper work for the glasses. I got a young lady on the phone. I was shocked to hear a girls voice because I knew he didn’t have any sisters, only brothers, and they all lived in Canada. I got worried she was his girlfriend. I told her who I was and that I was calling to speak with Bryan. She said she would get him. A few moments later I heard Bryan's voice on the phone.
Bryan: "Hello?"
Me: "Hi Bryan. It is Brenda."
Bryan: "Oh, Hi. How are you?"
Me: "OK, but I was calling to find out if you were still planning on coming Christmas Caroling with me and my friends."
Bryan: "Yes I am."
Me: "Well, we are waiting for you. We were to met at my work at 7pm."
Bryan: "You said 7:30pm"
Me: "Nope, I said 7pm"
Bryan: "I am on my way."

When he arrived he said he was sorry, but that he was positive that I said 7:30pm. To this day we still have this argument that he remembers me saying 7:30pm and I remember saying 7pm. It has become an on going joke with us.

Anyway, we had a great time Christmas Caroling. I rode in his car so that he would know where we were going and we got to talk a bit more. He had this white Jeta. It had cow print fuzzy seat covers. I thought it was funny, and cute. Bryan is such a tall guy (6 feet) that it was funny to see him getting into such a small car.

The evening ended and he drove me back to my work where my car was located. Before I got out of his car he asked me if I wanted to go see a movie the next night. I said sure. He said that Jamanji was planning and we could go see it and get some hot cocoa afterwards.

The next night he picked me up at my apartment and we headed to the theater. I talked and talked the whole way to the movies. Some how the conversation turned to how old we both were. He asked me my age. My reply was, "How old do you think I am?" He said 22. I was shocked, because I was 25. I then asked him how old he was, and he told me to guess. I guessed 28, but he was really only 22! We had a good laugh about that.

The movie was fun, and the Hot Cocoa was yummy. It was a very fun evening. I was a bit nervous because I really liked him, and I didn't want the evening to end. Because I was so nervous, I talked A LOT! He just stared at me, and smiled.

When he drove me home he handed me a gift for Christmas. I remember his exact words.

"I know we have not known each other very long, but I wanted to get you something for Christmas." He handed me the gift. It was wrapped up in Christmas wrapping paper. And I could tell by feeling it that it was a book. At this moment I froze. I feared that it was a Book of Mormon.

You see, Bryan was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or as non-members would call them; he was a Mormon. I was not. I had several friends worried about me seeing Bryan because of his religion. I was not worried about it until he handed me that Christmas gift. I worried that the only reason he wanted to hang out with me was to convert me.

I told him thank you, and he said that I didn't need to open it right then if I didn't want too. I said that I would wait and open it on Christmas Day. He walked me to my door and gave me a hug. And said that he would call me when he got back from visiting his family in Canada for Christmas.

I came inside and sat the gift on the kitchen table and stared at it for the longest time. I wanted to open it but I was worried what I thought it was and what that might mean. After what seemed like eternity, I finally decided to go a head and open the gift and find out what book it was. So I slowly tore he paper off to reveal that it was not a Book of Mormon but rather the book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" by John Gray. I was relieved to say the least and then very surprised. I had wanted to read this book for a few months but had not gone to buy it, so I thought it was very interesting that Bryan would have bought this for me, because he had not known I was interested in reading it.

The next day I went to the store and bought Bryan a Coffee Mug (come to think of it, we still have that mug!) and got him some fancy Hot Cocoa and dropped it off at his house. I wrote him a note saying I had such a fun time with him, and I loved the book. I explained I had opened it up after I got inside my apartment. I also wished him a safe and fun trip with his family.

Christmas came and my sister and I headed to my parents home for the day. The day after Christmas I had to work and I was bummed about that. But while I was working, a bouquet of flowers were delivered to the store for me from Bryan! The card said "Hope you are having a good day. See you when I get back." ~Bryan.

I was so happy! Now I waited for the day of his return.

To be Continued...

6 jittering comments:

Andrea said...

wow- so cute.
Can't wait for the rest of the story.
and haha about the book. cute.

Becky said...

I have had so much fun reading how you guys met and fell in love. So- do we get to find out who the girl was that answered his phone?

The Barney's said...

Brenda, it was so fun reading your memories from dating. I havent read part 1-3 yet but am excited too. It makes me reminess (sp?) about Justin and my past. So fun!! Congrats on Lady Bug!! She is so cute. I miss having a little baby girl around. We want 1 more in a couple years and Katelyn (now 7) and I want a little girl so bad. I know you will and already have enjoyed her!!
Love, Lori Barney

Anonymous said...

Looks lie you are all better.It has been hard around my place.I just got home from moms after her fall. glad to see well.

Stephani said...

Hey, I haven't been blog-reading in awhile and so just read all your recent posts and love story parts. You and Bryan's story is so sweet!! I remember bits and pieces of it from when you were my visiting teacher and told me some, but it is so fun to hear again with more details. And it really is so fun to sit and reminisce about those early young love feelings isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I sure can't wait for Part #5. I've been reading these like a beautiful romance novel. Keep up the good work.

Post a Comment

I will post your comment after I review it. Thanks for taking a moment to leave us a little note.