Sunday, July 29, 2007

Family Home Evening (FHE)

For those who might read my blog who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or who might now about the this church but have not heard of the term "Family Home Evening" I wanted to share a little bit about what "it" is and what we as a Family do during it.

Unfortuantly, I don't know when the FHE started with the members of the Church, because I am a convert and don't know the dates of all things pertaining to the church....but I do know that I love this program....and I am thankful for the Prophet who recommended that each family to this program. Here is a link from the Church website that talks about what FHE is. Basicly, it is a time we as a family set a side to spend time together as a family. We try to make it spiritual most of the time, but it can be as simple as singing a church song and reading out of the Church Magazine, or doing some service as a family for a neighbor. The leaders of the Church have set a side Mondays as the day of the week that FHE happens but that doesn't mean that all families can do it this day....and your family can pick a day that works for your family. We have picked Sundays. Bryan works Monday Nights. We did try to do it on Thursday evenings but I was so tired after all my running around all day, so we decided on Sundays.


We have officially had 3 weeks of FHE and tonights was the best so far. I just had to share with you all.

The first one we did the topic was about Daniel and the Lions Den. I got it a kit from Hatch Patch Creations several years ago before Bug was born. I was excited to do the kit. Bug was wild and crazy and it took alot to keep him focused even for 10 minutes.

The second one we did was the topic of the Pioneers since the following week (July 24th) was Pioneer Day. The kit was also from Hatch Patch Creations. I learned to shorten the lesson a bit and it was a bit better.

Today was the thrid one, and we were going to do the lesson from Hatch Patch Creations on Brigham Young but after coloring the pictures, cutting them out and laminating them and then looking at the story to share, I realized that there was no way I was going to beable to make this fun for a 2 year old.

So I scapped the lesson I had planned and went online to look up the Primary 1 manual on line and found the lesson that the Nursery and Sunbeams did today at church. It was about Family Prayer. I reviewed the lesson and designed a quick lesson for FHE! And it turned out to be the best one yet. I am so happy. Bug sat so well during our prayers. He even said "Jesus" when we showed him a picture of Jesus in the Western Hemispher.

I wanted to share what I did for the lesson with you all. It might help ohters out there.

Primary 1 Manual

Lesson 27: We Can Pray As a Family.

We started off by singing the song "Family Prayer"
Then we had a prayer.

I showed this picture to Bug.


We discussed the picture and pointed out the Mom and Dad and the kids. And pointed out that they were praying as a family.




I printed out this picture as well. And we discussed this picture. We mentioned that Jesus told the families in this picture to pray as a family to Heavenly Father. This is the picture that Bug pointed to JESUS in the picture and said "Jesus".

We then read the poem:

We love Heavenly Father;

We thank him when we pray.

Heavenly Father loves us;

He hears the things we say.

And then we let Bug color some clip art of a Mom, Dad, Brother and Sister. I am going to cut them out and laminate them and then use them in a future FHE.

And then we sang the the song "Family Prayer" again and then did a closing prayer and we were done. It was only 10 minutes long but it was the most that Bug was interested in a long time. I was so proud of him sitting with Bryan and Me while we prayed and he had his arms folded and his head bowed and eyes closed. It made me so proud.

Bryan whispered to me later on "He is getting the hang of it. It just takes time for him to understand."

Smiles!

3 jittering comments:

MaryRuth said...

Brenda! That is so cool! What a great lesson!! And such a great explanation of FHE!!

You rock!!

The Maddens said...

FHE is hard with kids. One nice thing is that it is always short and doesn't drag on cause the kids let you know when they are bored.

Andrea said...

I love doing lessons from the primary 1 manual. I never thought of getting the clip art though. Thanks for the great ideas!

Post a Comment

I will post your comment after I review it. Thanks for taking a moment to leave us a little note.