Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesdays plans

Bug's OT Evaluation went well.

He got a little upset when some of the testing activities had to end, and the therapist had to switch things. But we think it was because he was hungry. Bryan and I both asked each other what he had for breakfast and we both said "I thought you fed him?" *L* Not really, but pretty close. I had given Bug some cheese and Bryan had offered him some raspberries for breakfast. But when the cheerios where offered to Bug he gobbled them down and wanted more. The therapist was so nice and gave him a small bag after the evaluation was done and Bug almost ate them all by the time we got home (we only live about 5 minutes from the office). Bryan made Bug a peanut butter and jelly sand which when we came home and he gobbled that thing down so fast. I don't know what is up with this kid. I offer him cheerios at home and he doesn't want them, and he will go several days eating like a bird and then all of a sudden he will act like he has not eaten in days and will eat everything in site. I keep up with him.

Back to the Evaluation results. The therapist did mention that there was a few things he needed help with but he was doing somethings that a child his age should not be able to do yet. So she recommended some sessions but that she didn't think it will last long. I was so happy to hear that. She needs to do the report and then we get put on a waiting list (could be 3months tell sessions start up because they are very busy), and that is fine with us. I will be pretty busy when Lady Bug arrives and we will need to work on our routine. By the time an opening comes up we should be able to handle it....I hope. The therapist gave me some suggestions to work on for him during the time we are on the waiting list.

*Hiding beads in playdoh for him to pull apart and find
*More pre-writing skills (I, - , O, +, \ , /)
* Scissor activities. She informed me that learning how to do buttons is a pre-cursor to learning how to use scissors....I had no idea!!!
*Picking up small beads and putting them into small/tiny bottles.

So I am feeling really good about things. Sessions don't seem like they will go on for ever and ever! She said maybe max 6 months. And this is a relief. And the fact that she thinks it will not be for very long is such a relief.

And even more exciting news!!!!
Last week I got a call from a young girl I was a Mentor for when I was still working. I was a mentor thru Big Brothers Big Sisters back in 2003-2005. I met her when she was only 9 years old and she was in 4th grade. She is now 14 years old and will be starting her Freshman Year in H.S. this September! I can't believe that she is 14 now. She is doing well, and just wanted to touch base with me. I contacted her mother and we have made plans for her to hang out with Bug and me today!
I am so excited to see her today and catch up. It has been a couple years since we have seen each other.

1 jittering comments:

Post a Comment

I will post your comment after I review it. Thanks for taking a moment to leave us a little note.